Friday 6 April 2012

05 december 1927 :: here beginneth

gradus defined ..

Gradus, a word from the latin fourth declension. It can mean just one step and it can mean more than one step. For my present purposes I use gradus in the sense of a series of steps. Whether these are footsteps or whether like the treads of a staircase is for the moment of little concern. It can be taken as either – or both.

I’d like to begin at the beginning. But there is no beginning. The steps I describe in my present journey are but part of a much greater series. If all goes well, and in their proper place, I may recall former steps. For now, let me begin with a statement that makes a good deal of sense to me – and to many others who share awarenesses – though it may ring strange to those as yet unconvinced of the reality of existing as an immortal soul linked but temporarily with a mortal physical body, that physical body being the instrument through which the soul gains experience of external life.

I chose to be born in London to parents who were both practising Christian Spiritualists. They were psychics. Clairvoyants. Healers. My mother moved into deep trance, a medium for words of uttermost wisdom conveyed by spirits from far distant planes of understanding. My father, a fine speaker, initiated  our séances. My parents were also lovers of music. And that is an important thread in my story.

francis cameron, oxford, 11 september 2011

with minimal revisions, 06 april 2012

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: