Thursday 23 February 2012

john lanchester's capital

capital

I bought John Lanchester’s new book half way through yesterday morning. There was purpose in my purchase. I wanted something to get into. Something different from the items where I’d lost momentum and the other odds and bits where I’d tried and failed to work up interest in something attempted more than once before.

It worked. I’ve just finished reading it. All 577 pages. Quite a good tale. Must have involved a tremendous study of people and their surroundings in the London of 2008. Their thought processes rippling convincingly to the surface. Their hopes and fears shared with me, the reader.

I don’t want to say more about it. That would spoil it for anyone picking it up and beginning to explore its contents.

It did its job for me. For these two days I’ve been resuscitating. I’ve spied on life from a distance. It’s been a miniBreak rather than a thorough holiday. But that’s the way of the world.

francis cameron, oxford, 23 february 2012

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: