Wednesday 28 September 2011

kitchenbeware!

I'm just at the stage where my handy campsite Tefal frying pan and a glass lid from one of the saucepans is not quite enough for my burgeoning cooking efforts. Debenham's department store advertises a sale. So I go there first. Couldn't find the kitchenware department. Why not? They don't have one. It's nicely euphemismed under the heading 'Home'. It's a beautiful display. Le Creuset and other names I recognise - as one does! And lovely labels indicated 10% off the marked prices. Trouble was, I couldn't see price tags on any of the items that took my fancy. I suppose the old adage still works. If you have to ask how much it is, you can't afford it. Under the counter I found stacks of cardboard boxes - and there was the answer to my question. (Shop assistants? Come now! It's 2011 and we're in the middle of a financial crisis. You just want jam on it!) A beautiful 24cm covered sauté : £84 - and for the discount you must look at our big big labels which tell you how much to knock off. (Ehem! Pardon the vulgarity.)

I follow the trail downhill, as it were. When I reached £44 I felt this was not quite what I wanted for my humble estaminet. (We drink red wine as we chop the onions.) So I cross the road. BoSwells, ahoy!

Much better here. Not so obviously North Oxford - but very good value. Assistance? Of course. How may I help you, Sir? I'm now in comfortable bourgeois country. At £33 there's a magnificent shiny stainless steel frying pan with a heavy glass lid. Nuff said. Take it to the checkout.

Then a kitchen timer. Something where I can press the button when I put on the spuds. And another button as I start to fry the chicken breast - or whatever it is I found in the freezer last night. When the alarm(s) ring(s), check for consistency. If it's OK, turn off the flame. Serve with a topping up of the red in the glass.

Buy. buy, blackbird!

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: