Friday 11 February 2011

trumpets for wimborne


These are organ pipes. Technically they are known as trompettes en chamade - which means they are displayed horizontally – and the en chamade bit also brings in the French for ‘to sound a parley’. The pipes are part of the organ in Wimborne Minster, Dorset, an instrument originating from the firm of J W W Walker in 1866 and substantially recast by them in 1965.

If the dating of my photo is correct, I was there in the January of 1967 (surely that can’t be right!) to play for the wedding of Diana Norman who had been a pupil of mine at the Royal Academy of Music in London.

The pupils whose weddings I’ve played for all tended to ask for a full programme of music. In Diana’s case (I hope I remember it well) this included Bach’s great Toccata and Fugue in D minor, played while the wedding party was in the vestry signing the registers. When they came out for the final procession, the building was filled with the glories of the Widor Toccata. It’s a glorious glorious sound, especially when the organ has the resources to do it justice. And justice, that day, was well and truly done. Every resource on that organ was brought into play.

Afterwards I was rather touched. One of the churchwardens came up to me and thanked me for using their trumpets. These had been a very expensive addition to the specification in 1965. Apparently they had then been played at the Opening Recital – and been silent ever since. I’m glad I could oblige. Such flamboyant pleasures are not to be cast aside lightly.

francis cameron, oxford, 11 february 2011

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: