Sunday 31 October 2010

Witchfather

Philip Heselton’s splendid new book Witchfather is on the way . It’s a quite magnificent piece of work. The Witchfather of the title is, of course, Gerald Gardner and the amount of information about the man, his deeds, his family, his friends, those he worked with, and places he went to – all these are there. It’s much much more than any of us who have been in touch with Philip from time to time could have expected. Yet it doesn’t feel overburdened with facts. Philip is such a master story teller, it’s almost like being there with him in a visualisation of events past and present.

I consider myself privileged to have enjoyed a preview of the text. I just could not put it down. I had to stay with it until I reached the final page. It’s very easy to distinguish between Philip’s own work and quotations from other people. Those who want to follow up any particular points will be able to start with the sources which Philip places in full view. When, because there is no tangible evidence so far as we know, he has to speculate to fill in the gaps, he says so very plainly and gives his reasons. I take my hat off to him. If I had a cloak I’d spread it in front of him as he walks.

If you are a Wiccan, a Pagan, a social historian, a reader of brilliant biographies, or even if you have only the slightest teeny-weeny bit of interest in Gerald Gardner, then this is the book for you. Go buy!

francis cameron, oxford, samhain 2010

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: