Wednesday 6 February 2013

nunc et in hora mortis examine

I’m preparing for my death. Not that I’m escaping just yet. Just that there are certain things I need to take care of. Like making a Will. So there’s a little less mess for my children to take care of when I’m gone.

I haven’t felt like this since I was 39. Then every newspaper, every magazine I picked up, seemed to tell me ’40 is the end of the road.’ 40 is as far as you’re going to get. Don’t delude yourself you’re going to get any further.

But then I did.

Before I was 41 I was on my way to Australia and new horizons. Far wider than I’d ever imagined.

Today it’s different. Je ne regrette rien. (Can’t you just hear her voice! Perhaps I should have it played at my wake.) And, on balance, life has been pretty good. But there are ends I need to tie up. Like updating the Will I made before I sailed South. Then it was simple. Now it is different. I bought a house when we came to Oxford in 1980. There are organisations I’ve joined since then. And the various ‘gov’ .orgs who need to be informed. When (the saints come marching in)

Now I’ve written that, I feel better. There IS a future. How long, I don’t know. But there IS a future.

Think ‘win8’. ‘Office 365’. The three books I ought to write. Enough to keep me out of mischief? LOL

francis cameron, oxford, 06 february 2013

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: