Thursday 8 March 2012

1938 : first day at mercers' school

first day at mercers’ school

Thanks to Captain C Lisle Watson, who stands in lieu of a godfather to me, I am no longer at St Mary’s (Church of England) Elementary School.  I have bypassed the 11-plus scholarship examination and moved directly into a fee-paying independent grammar school.

This is my first day at Mercers’ in the City of London. I am an addition to the normal limit of 15 boys in form IIA. Our form master is Mr R W H D Murray.

The first day of term is mainly occupied with administrative matters. I unhappily distinguish myself when replying to the standard question about midday meals by cheerfully confirming – in the demotic of Harcourt Street – “Im gunna ‘ave me dinners in school.” In the silence which follows, one can clearly hear the clashing together of the gates of the underworld. A stream of withering invective comes from Mr R W H D Murray condemning the carelessness of those whose speech distorts the normally acceptable  standards of everyday cultured life. From henceforth I am blazoned with the mark of Outsider.

Mercers’ was dedicated to the proposition that there is only one correct standard of speech conduct dress devotion and manners for the sons of fathers intending their offspring for careers in the offices of the City of London. School uniform was obligatory – as was the purchase of that uniform from the one store authorised to stock it. Best behaviour was also demanded in journeying to and from school. At all times we could expect to be under the watchful eye of authority. Misdemeanours would not be overlooked. Or forgiven. That would be letting the side down.

I shall write more about Mercers’ later on. In January 1938 I had denoted myself as not cut out from the standard pattern. If I intended to remain I must recast myself so as to be indistinguishable from the dark blazers and grey shorts which surrounded me.

francis cameron, oxford, 8 march 2012

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: