Thursday 22 December 2011

gradus at the solstice

thursday 22 december 2011

10 a.m. Time to stop. pause. regroup

This is the time of the winter solstice. The time when, for us of the northern latitudes, the sun appears to be at its greatest distance from us. Each day for the next halfyear the sun will rise a little earlier and set a little later. Now is a good time to pause and reflect.

I have a great desire to complete my Book of Gradus, the book of my spiritual journey, by the time of the spring equinox, that fleeting moment when day and night are equally balanced.

I began writing when the month of lammas was still upon us, ebbing away. I was overtaken by more pressing demands. The Book of Gradus lost its priority. My obligations were focussed elsewhere. I wrote now and again in the intervals between the acts. When I signed off yesterday I was partway to unpicking the tangled skein of my life swirling round in the whirlpool of life and London in the 1950s. As it was in the beginning would never be the same again. When I signed off yesterday my wordcount showed 12,174. Not bad for starters. But beginning to drift.

Time to stop. to pause. regroup. Yes! Time to step back. to survey the Gradus so far. to point to the coded threads of the web so woven.

francis cameron, oxford

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: