Monday 5 July 2010

Gaskill 2010 : Witchcraft

I'd be very grateful for help in dealing with these queries arising from my study of Gaskill's 2010 book on Witchcraft.

[1] On page 24, Margaret Murray is referred to as 'the mythologist Margaret Murray'. This is the only time I've come across this attribution. Does it occur anywhere else?

[2] The caption to the illustration on page 114 describes Gerald Gardner as the 'self-proclaimed father of modern paganism'. I've found nothing like this is anything I've read by him or about him. Have I missed something?

[3] On page 137, in the last section of the Further Reading, Ronald Hutton's Triumph of the Moon is listed among the titles 'For occultism:'. The following three titles (Luhrmann 1989, Berger 1999, Adler 1986) all relate to Wicca. Is it usual to conflate Wicca and occultism?

Help that comes my way will be gratefully received and properly acknowledged.

Francis Cameron, Oxford

Posted via email from franciscameron's posterous

No comments: